IMG_2750I have been on the hunt for a mid century credenza since we moved into the new house. I dreamed of having a monster size piece with warm teak and lovely vintage lines… Alas, that dream piece of furniture costs more than I bring in with a single paycheck. My only option is win the lottery, or craft one myself. It appears some jerks won the lottery, so it was time to get crafty.

I have scoured the internet in search of a hack that would save me some money but still look classy af. Pinterest proved yet again to be a source of inspiration, and with my dad’s help we came up with a lovely hack. I bring ideas, he brings solutions… we are the dream team of crafts ladies and gents. Check out the inspiration:

insp

And here is the play by play on how I made mine:

I bought this tv cabinet from Ikea for $279. I liked the overall structure but the legs are pretty awful and I the all white body was a little stark for my taste. I purchased a roll of Walnut veneer from Crosscut Hardwoods for $62.
IMG_2774

We removed the drawer and cabinet doors and roughed them up with a 220 grit sandpaper to help the veneer adhere. While I sanded, my dad began trimming the veneer to fit each surface.
img1
IMG_2753

While my Dad prepped the veneer, I got the new legs ready by adding furniture screws, and staining them to a nice dark walnut color.
IMG_2755
IMG_2758
IMG_2759
Look at my cute fam in the background.

We peeled off the backing and applied the veneer to each of the surfaces using a rolling pin to ensure there were no bubbles. My dad made a small cut with a utility knife on each corner so we could fold the veneer around each edge.
IMG_2760

Next, we did a light sand around the edges to remove any splintered wood bits.
IMG_2765

We wiped down the doors to remove any dust, and applied a few coats of Wipe-On Poly. The Walnut suddenly went from grey-ish blah color to a deep, rich tone.
IMG_2767

While the poly cured my dad used a metal cutting blade to saw off the original legs. He then drilled holes for the new legs and we screwed those suckers in.
IMG_2772

Once the poly was dry we slid the drawer back in, and screwed in the doors. The new piece looks so much better than I could have expected. Swoon… another crazy project down.
IMG_2783
IMG_2787xo,
k

 

 

1 Comment on Ikea Mid Century Modern Credenza Hack

  1. Sari
    June 12, 2017 at 4:15 am (6 months ago)

    Thank you so much for this post, I’ve been looking for something exactly like the pieces in the Pinterest photos but I’m in the same boat as you, not ready to spend $2000+ on an item like that lol I’m going to show this to my boyfriend and see what we can do!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *