After weeks on big project hiatus, there has been a major break-through in the Zinn home. For weeks we have been tackling tiny projects that eat up time and produce no visible results that elicit ohhh and ahhhs. These projects are hugely important but ultimately rather boring. With Curtis working consistent 60 hours weeks and my parents living an actual life that does not solely consistent of being my house slaves, the house projects have been limited to things that me and my pregnant bod can do on my own. Lots of painting, sanding, cleaning, and planting. The one Sunday Curtis had free time in months, and he built me raised beds so I could get my garden on… He is magical. Really.
But then last weekend the shiz went down. My parents brought over my glossy, dark, lovely wood countertops and they went in. It instantly made the kitchen look 100x nicer. And yet again, because I have some sort of sick mental problem that causes me to go insane… we started installing the subway backsplash that night…. I mean, why not? This will officially be the last tile project I take on for at least a few years. It isn’t hard, and I am a firm believer anyone could lay tile… but I have tiled my last rental house’s bathroom, our current kitchen floor, and now our backsplash. I am done. Below is the jump of our progress and I have some larger scale pictures of the original room state… The grandma house is starting to fade.
We started with a lovely plywood countertop we had been using for months.
The process of installing the countertops was actually quite quick. We slid the pieces together, glued them in place, and glued them down to their final resting place.
Once the countertops were in, my dad hung new backer board that we could adhere the backsplash to. The ugly paper was underneath the classy linoleum backsplash we tore off.
That night we started apply the tile. Since we used pre-spaced tile, this process was quick.
It took me a few days to finish the tile, things got a little slow on the second wall because I needed to cut 27 pieces to be about an inch tall… and turns out our cabinets are crooked, so they started at 1″ and slowly made their way to 2″.
Once the mortar had set, we started the uber fun process of grouting. If you have never done it before, please learn from my mistake. Wear gloves is you apply dark grout… it will stain your nails homeless for weeks.
The next morning we wiped the grout down with a dry cloth to remove the haze, and in a few days we will seal the grout! Curtis was so pleased with himself.
Please note extreme husband cuteness, so so cute.
And also note extreme dog cuteness while supervising extreme cute husband.
Here is a bigger look at before and after… it feels good to see such progress. FINALLY.